Monday, November 17, 2008

No e-mail in the White House?

Reading a NY Times article on Obama today, I made a startling realization. Presidents don't use email. Seriously. Apparently, it's a combination of "concerns about e-mail security" and "the Presidential Records Act, which puts ... correspondence in the official record and ultimately up for public review, and the threat of subpoenas."

Even more surprising is the fact that President-elect Obama "hopes to have a laptop computer on his desk in the Oval Office, making him the first American president to do so." (Emphasis mine).

I don't know if this is news to anyone else, but I can't imagine how anyone could do business, let alone run a country, without email. Crazy. Yes, yes, I know email is a relatively new-fangled invention, but still?

I guess this means Andrew can be President - His office doesn't have Internet access. Or email. But that's a whole 'nother story.

No comments: