Sunday, November 23, 2008

Caramel Shortbread Bars aka Twix Bars

Sundays have lately seemed to be busy baking days for me. I've got three big events that I need baked goods for, so I wanted to get as much done ahead of time. This includes:
  • An "ex-Monster" get-together at Rebecca's (my old boss who was the one that hired me at Monster) on Tuesday night
  • The big Turkey day itself at Andrew's parents' place in Plymouth (as commercials here call it, "America's hometown")
  • The third annual bake-off/cookie swap at Kelli's place on Wednesday, December 3 with Heather and Z - I'm still trying to figure out what I want to make for it (we usually each do two things each)
So today, I made three separate recipes but only ended up completing one.

  1. I baked the cupcakes and mini-cupcakes that will make up my Thanksgiving dessert. I will bring a few of these to Rebecca's on Tuesday but the majority will go to Plymouth on Thursday. I will devote a couple hours to decorating them tomorrow night.
  2. New butter cookie mix with cranberries and white chocolate chips. I've been trying to replicate a cookie I had over a year ago that had cranberries, white chocolate chips and pistachios. I also meant to include pistachios in today's batch but contrary to what I remembered, didn't have any in stock. I formed the batter into two logs that are now in my freezer. The recipe said they needed to be chilled for four hours and then sliced and baked. Since I ran out of white sugar to sprinkle the cookies with, I decided I would bake these later this week. If this recipe is great, it's a possibility for the cookie swap.
  3. New recipe for Caramel Shortbread bars, which involves a layer of shortbread that you bake, followed by a homemade caramel layer and topped with a layer of milk chocolate. I don't know why I didn't realize it when I read the recipe, but these things taste like a rich Twix bar. I may need to make them again for the cookie swap.
The Caramel Shortbread bars were a little hard to cut through (you need to keep them frozen before cutting so the shortbread doesn't crumble too much), but they were heavenly. I love anything with homemade caramel.

No comments: