Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Amish Friendship Bread

Last night was a baking first for me - making Amish Friendship Bread with a starter that Andrew's mom gave me.

What makes this bread unusual is the fact that you use a yeast starter that is given to you by someone else (technically you can make it self, but that ruins the friendship concept!) Over a ten day period, you mush the bag each day and let air out (which smells like beer). On Day 6 and the last day, Day 10, you add milk, sugar and flour. The part that skeezes Andrew out is that you don't refrigerate the starter at all during this process.

Here is the yeast starter below in the ziploc bag on Day 10.



Another secret to making the bread is dusting the pans with a cinnamon/sugar mixture instead of flour, and topping it with the same mixture.


Here's the bread fresh out of the oven and ready for my coworkers to try.
It comes out moist and cinnamon-y - more like a coffee cake.

I made a double batch so that I could share the bread with everyone at work, in the name of friendship. Everyone loved it and told me they could smell the bread while rounding the corner near my desk.

The only problem is that it leaves me with 2 starters to share, after a coworker took one - anyone want one? Otherwise, I may be baking forever!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh pick me! Pick me!

bcallegra said...

You want it, you've got it! I've got a bag waiting for you. Be warned, you'll have to make it around or on Thanksgiving Day, due to the 10 day schedule it's on.