Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sea Kittens?

Listening to one of my favorite radio stations on the way to work this morning, I heard the DJs making fun of PETA's latest campaign called "Save the Sea Kittens".












What the heck is a Sea Kitten?

It's PETA's attempt to conduct a PR makeover for fish because, in their own words, "Would people think twice about ordering fish sticks if they were called sea kitten sticks? " Basically, they think people will stop eating fish if they picture them as being as cute and cuddly as kittens.

Look PETA, there's no way a slimy, scaly, slack-jawed fish is going to look cute as a fluffy kitten. Plus, people eat cats in some countries (for all of you out there thinking about kae-gogi, it's not South Korea!!)

Of course, the term Sea Kitten got mocked endlessly by the DJs and the callers. And all the callers agreed that Sea Kitten or Fish, both would still get eaten in the end if they tasted good (I agree).

The part of the show I enjoyed most was when everyone tried to come up with cute names for the other types of meat. The two that I heard before I arrived at work were:
  • Mini Moo-Moo

  • Little Buck-Buck
Haha, it brought a smile to my face this morning. I'm sure it's not as funny reading it (and everyone knows how bad I am at telling a joke or a funny story). And I would still eat them all.

No comments: