Friday, January 2, 2009

No Hassle Return at Target

So I made good on my one day resolution on getting the right floodlight at Target.

First, I had to return the light I bought last week that was the wrong size. The parking lot was packed and the first thing I saw when I walked in was the long return line. I sucked it up and joined the line, counting ten people in front of me. It took nine minutes to get through the line (with one couple leaving as they got fed up with the wait). When I hit the front of the line, I wasn't sure how smoothly my return would go because 1) I was missing the receipt and 2) technically, the light bulb had been opened although you couldn't tell since it was in a resealable package.

I noticed a sign while waiting in line that said if you had the same credit card that was used for the purchase, they could pull up the receipt.

So when I got the register, I told the woman I wanted to return the light, that I didn't have the receipt but I had the credit card I used to buy it. She scanned the item, scanned my credit card, out popped a return receipt and I was good to go. This whole process took 20 seconds! I even stood there, mouth agape, asking the woman if that was it for the return.

As the rest of Target was a zoo, I went straight for the light bulbs, picked up the right size (hopefully!) and headed straight for the register. One swipe of my credit card and I was out just as quickly. I think they may have installed a new credit card system even since the last time I shopped there last week. All in all, a very pleasant return process which was definitely unexpected.

No comments: