Sunday, January 4, 2009

Kind of Cooked For Lunch Today

After baking the Strawberry Muffins this morning, I was on a roll in the kitchen.

I was inspired to throw random things from my cupboard into a soup.

I pulled out my Dutch Oven and started by sauteing 1/2 an onion in some olive oil with garlic.

Next, I added a lone chicken breast from my freezer (I'm not vegetarian but I'm never inspired to cook or eat much meat at home) as well as two sliced chicken/apple sausages that I had just bought last week at Trader Joes. I figured I'd give Andrew some protein since I tend to prefer vegetable soups myself.

Next came six cups of water seasoned with 5 chicken bullion cubes, three packets of Goya Sazon seasoning, a can of Hunt's tomato sauce, a can of sliced carrots and a can of corn.

The resulting soup wasn't too bad. Andrew claimed to like it (he even had it again for dinner). I added some improvised breadsticks on the side (pizza dough in a can, I just cut the dough into strips, brushed on a little beaten egg white, sprinkled garlic and garlic salt on top and baked until toasted).

The soup definitely broke food presentation rules in terms of providing a mix of colors - I would've killed for some green beans but alas, I didn't have a bag of mixed vegetables in my freezer as I originally thought. I'm not going to include this meal towards my goal of one new cooked recipe each month since I technically didn't follow a recipe.

No comments: