Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Blind Dates

At some point last year, I stumbled across The Washington Post’s Date Lab. Every week, the Post matches up two people, gives them a $100 to spend on dinner as well as disposable camera to take pictures and then chronicles the whole thing in a column. Predictably, most of the dates fizzle out since people are matched on what appears to be one common characteristic. Actually, I believe the Post as a joke, had a monkey pick two people to go out and that date actually ended working out so that shows you a lot about how many people will actually find true love through the column.

Anyway, it still makes for an interesting read to see what other people go through on a blind date. Especially since the column consists mostly of what the two people on the date had to say about the experience in direct quotes. This is why I was pleased to see that the Boston Globe Magazine was announcing a similar column called Dinner With Cupid (lame name, I know). It’s a chance to read about Boston people doing the blind date at places I’ll actually recognize.

My next goal is to get some of the single friends I know to give it a try. At the very least, they'll get a $100 dinner for free!

No comments: