Monday, January 5, 2009

Ice Capades

This morning sucked.

Not only was it the first official back-from-the-holidays, full day of work Monday but Boston also experienced freezing rain over night.

My walkway, the stairs and both driveways were one solid sheet of ice.



Of course today was the day I chose to wear my new Mariposa flats. Those shoes have no traction at all - seriously. The soles just have an imprint of Vera Wang's signature, which definitely does nothing to keep you upright on a sheet of ice. I gingerly made my way down the stairs, holding the railing and then thought better of it. I headed back in doors, swapped the flats for my hiking boots and went back out. Better traction this time although I was still slipping like a mad woman.


This is what my car looked like - even after ten minutes of running the heater! Luckily, this was one of the back windows and I was able to scrape everything off. Scraping with one hand, that is, while the other hand clutched a door handle for support and my feet were sliding down the driveway.



This is what I had to stand on:



After I scraped my windows, I thought the worst was over as I was now securely in my warm car. This was before my tires started burning rubber on the driveway as I tried to back out.

Five minutes later, after inching the car forward, trying to back out, having my tires squeal and smoke, having my car slide forward towards the garage and repeating the whole process over and over and over, I finally made it out. In the middle of all of this, I was sorely tempted to take this as a sign to work from home today.

No comments: