Wednesday, January 14, 2009

BC On My Mind - Jesuits Take Over Congress

I really enjoyed reading this Boston.com post on "New Congress 9 percent Jesuit-educated".

According to stats quoted within it:
  • 50 (really 51) members of the 111th Congress are Jesuit-educated
  • Georgetown has the most graduates at 18
  • But Boston College follows closely behind at 6 graduates (really 7 ) and Holy Cross has 4
  • The BC grads, surprisingly, are all Democrats and include
  • Senator John F. Kerry (JD 1976)
  • Representative Michael Capuano (JD 1977)
  • Representative William D. Delahunt (JD 1967)
  • Representative Edward J. Markey (BA 1968; JD 1972)
  • Representative Paul W. Hodes of New Hampshire (JD 1978)
  • Representative Robert C. Scott of Virginia (JD 1973)
  • For some reason, Representative Stephen F. Lynch (JD 1991) was left off the original list but he counts as the 7th.

As a BC grad myself, I'm also (duh) Jesuit-educated but no, I don't have aspirations for Congress.

And the funny thing is, I hadn't even heard of Jesuits until I arrived on BC's campus freshman year. I remember reading that BC had the largest Jesuit population in the world in one of the brochures that was sent to me as a prospective student and wondering what a Jesuit was. So that fact definitely wasn't a deciding factor for me to attend!

No comments: