Sunday, January 25, 2009

Blueberry and Nectarine Cobbler

Oddly enough, the inspiration from this post came from going to the gym.

Andrew and I have been on a roll, going to the gym 3 - 4 times a week now that he has joined my gym. While I'm at the gym, I love having reading material in addition to music. Since I'm raiding the gym's supply of magazines that people have brought and left behind, my reading material ranges from entertainment magazines like People and US Weekly (my favorite since they don't require a lot of concentration and reading while you're on a machine) and women's magazines like O and Good Housekeeping. The problem with the latter type of magazines are they contain a lot of recipes and pictures of food, and you're often hungry and staring at said pictures. So anyway, long story short, I was reading a summer issue of O, and it featured all sorts of luscious blueberry desserts. So I was inspired to go home and make a blueberry dessert. I was excited to find the recipe for Easy Batter Fruit Cobbler on Allrecipes.com, since it seemed ridiculously easy.

I relied on frozen blueberries mostly for this batch but I know in the summer when I am overrun with fruit, this will be the perfect recipe to use!


Blueberry and Nectarine Cobbler

INGREDIENTS
4 tablespoons butter (I replaced this with Pam cooking spray with flour)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
2 cups of sliced fresh peaches or nectarines, or whole blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or a combination of fruits (or a 12-ounce package of frozen berries) (I went with a cup of frozen blueberries and 1 sliced nectarine)
1 tablespoon sugar

DIRECTIONS

  1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position, and heat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Spray pan with cooking spray and set aside.
  3. Whisk flour, 3/4 cup of sugar, baking powder and salt in small bowl. Add milk; whisk to form a smooth batter. Pour batter into pan, then scatter fruit over batter. Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tb. of sugar.
  4. Bake until batter browns and fruit bubbles, 50 to 60 minutes. (I baked it for 30 minutes). Serve warm or at room temperature with a dollop of whipped cream or a small scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired. We skipped the ice cream since we're trying to be a little healthier in our eating habits!
This is what the batter looked like before going in the oven - I think next time, I won't skimp on the fruit so much.













This is what it looked like after it was done baking.













However, I did not get to eat this lovely batch of cobbler. To be explained in my next post, I ended up scraping this batch into the garbage.


This is the second batch of cobbler I made, which oddly enough, ended up looking completely different. I think maybe because the oven was already heated up this time around from baking a batch of mac and cheese for dinner.

No comments: