Sunday, April 26, 2009

Flippin' Burgers

Collapsing into a big, sweaty mess at home after hiking at Noanet Woodlands, I knew I didn't want to sweat some more while cooking dinner. Luckily, Phu and Pete stopped by to drop off Phu's car (he parks in my extra driveway) and convinced us that it was time to eat dinner. Andrew and I have been meaning to try Flippin' Burgers for a while, on the basis of Underoo Elf's recommendation and the fact that we pass by it every time we drive through Newton Center.

My first impression was that this place was a hole in the wall - it doesn't really have a polished appearance and the kitchen takes up most of the space. There is enough seating for six people basically inside, and we were lucky (?) enough to grab a table for four when we arrived:



Pete and Andrew went with the Bacon Cheeseburger, Phu got the Buffalo Chicken sandwich and I went with a plain Cheeseburger, topped with onions, lettuce and tomato:



Andrew ordered onion rings (which they delivered to me) and I had fries, which allowed us to evaluate both options:


Topping the burgers and offered on the side as a dipping sauce was Flippin' Burgers special sauce. It consists of mayo, mustard and honey (I know since I asked suspiciously about its ingredients, wondering if ketchup was in it):



What were our overall impressions of the place?
  • I liked Flippin' Burgers better than Andrew, I would give it three out of five stars while Andrew didn't think there was anything special about their burgers
  • Their burgers are a tad overpriced, a cheeseburger (with fries) is $7.15 and Andrew's bacon cheeseburger with onion rings cost $8.75
  • The burgers are extremely drippy and greasy - stock up on napkins and use some of the handi wipes Flippin' Burgers thoughtfully provides
  • Onion rings were good - nice and crispy with a good onion to crust ratio
  • Fries were good simply because of the dipping sauce. Andrew again didn't think the sauce was good, but that's because he was comparing it to the Publick House's dipping sauces (nothing comes close to that!)
  • The burgers, like their website warns, take a while to cook so it's good to call your order in ahead of time
  • As the actual restaurant is small and extremely hot (no AC), it's better to do a pick-up order rather than eat there. If you don't believe me, take a look at the first photo above at Pete's and Phu's sweaty faces!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a chance to try it - we usually take our food to go because of the space/heat issue. I love the special sauce though and have considered buying a big vat of it for any and all fries that I eat.