Sunday, April 26, 2009

Pecan Monkey Bread

I've run across many recipes for Monkey Bread but I loved this recipe because it uses a cheat (Pillsbury Grand biscuits) and includes pecans, probably my second favorite nut after almonds!

This is what Andrew and I enjoyed for breakfast this morning, thanks to the recipe from Deborah's Culinary Confections.

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 packages Pillsbury Grands extra large biscuits (I used the buttermilk extra flaky type)
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (I added another teaspoon, I love cinnamon!)
  • 1/2 cup pecans, chopped (Upped this to a full cup, and toasted them in the oven for five minutes)
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Grease a 10 cup bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. I don't have a bundt pan so I used a 13 x 9 pan.
  3. Remove biscuits from packaging and cut each biscuit into quarters. Combine granulated sugar and cinnamon in a large resealable freezer bag. Drop biscuits about 8 pieces at time into sugar mix, seal bag and shake to coat, repeating until all biscuit pieces are coated.
  4. Layer biscuit pieces and pecans loosely in bundt pan - do not press down.
  5. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and brown sugar and vanilla, stirring constantly until mixture reaches a boil. Boil one minute, then remove from heat and pour evenly over biscuits.
  6. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto serving tray. Do not cut, just pull apart to eat.

This is what the bread looked like as I was layering it with biscuit pieces and pecans:



Covered with the brown sugar, butter and vanilla sauce:



Hot out of the oven:


Ready to eat:
Overall, I thought the recipe was easy to follow and easy to make. It wasn't as sticky as I expected, perhaps since it was spread out in a 13 x 9 pan so I would increase the amount of sauce to pour over it the next time I make it since that's the best part!
Andrew went back for third helpings, so I think it's safe to say that he liked it.

No comments: