Thursday, April 9, 2009

Workplace Bake Sale - Success!

Today marked a big day for me - I volunteered to run a bake sale at my office location (three other bake sales were occurring simultaneously at other locations) to raise funds for the March of Dimes. I was worried when I was given responsibility for this a few weeks back. Don't get me wrong, I love to bake and this type of event is right up my alley but I didn't want to have an embarrassingly small amount of goods to offer up.

I ran a notice in our office newsletter and got two fellow coworkers who were strangers to volunteer. The people that really stepped up to the challenge were the coworkers who sit closest to me. Although five volunteered in the beginning, only three remembered to bake. Still, in the end, we had plenty of things to choose from and no one complained about our selection!



I brought a dozen each of the Oreo cupcakes and the Strawberry cupcakes I made last Saturday, 14 banana chocolate chip muffins, and a dozen and a half oatmeal cranberry cookies. Not huge quantities but plenty of variety!

One of my coworkers really provided a lot of help by making brownies, blueberry muffins and oatmeal butterscotch chip cookies! We also had chocolate cupcakes, plain brownies, brownies with nuts (dropped off by an anonymous person at the bake sale table), raspberry chocolate chip cookies and sugar cookies (the Easter-themed slice and bake type, but considering these were brought in by a guy, who actually organized all the fundraising, I was impressed).




In two hours of selling, we sold out of everything except for a few blueberry muffins and sugar cookies, and raised over $280 for a great cause.

UPDATE: The final tally is now over $300! As we had some muffins and bagged cookies leftover, we put them out unattended on Friday with a basket asking for donations. By lunch time, the 13 items were gone and we found $22 and change in the basket - which makes me glad that my coworkers are honest and generous!

No comments: