Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Chourico and Peppers

Inspired by my coworker's dish at a recent office potluck and her assurance that it was easy to make, I made my first pseudo-Portuguese dish tonight for dinner - Chourico (known as chorizo in Spain) and Peppers:



The recipe I was given was very simple:

3 lbs of chourico
You can find chourico and linguica, another type of Portuguese sausage, in most Stop & Shops. I ended up using one pound of ground linguica and 2 pounds of chourico in link form, which was a pain in the butt since I had to remove the casing and crumble the sausage into the pot).
1 can of Hunts Tomato Sauce (I used a 14.5 ounce can)
1 can of Hunts Tomato Paste (I used a 6 ounce can)
1 can of Hunts Diced tomatoes with onion, peppers and celery (my addition, I figured it couldn't hurt)
1 diced green bell pepper (I added an extra pepper)

My coworker usually makes it in a crock pot, but I made it on the stovetop in a regular cooking pot since I don't own a crock pot. I sauteed the sausage and peppers in a little olive oil for five minutes, then added the tomatoes and sauce. Covering the pot, I simmered the sausage mixture for twenty minutes on low heat, stirring at the ten minute mark.

The end result was served steaming hot (obviously) over white rice:


Andrew, my resident Portuguese food expert, approved heartily of the dish. I loved the green peppers and was glad that I added an extra pepper. If I make this again, I would definitely thrown in a third. With around 6 - 7 cups of sausage and peppers total from the recipe, there was enough for dinner tonight and enough leftovers for another meal.

You'll have to excuse the steam in the pictures - we were too impatient to wait for dinner to cool down enough for picture-taking and eating purposes!

No comments: