Sunday, April 5, 2009

Andrew Is Handy To Have Around

I do appreciate Andrew's presence on a daily basis. But I have to say, he really distinguished himself in my eyes today.

Those of you who've visited my place know that my bathroom faucet has had a leak for an infinetly long amount of time.

Andrew took it upon himself to figure out how to fix it by doing some research, in the form of asking his Dad what to do and looking up directions on the Internet. I had gotten as far as doing this myself a year ago but ended up getting intimidated by the complexity of this supposedly "simple" task.

I have to admit, I was a little skeptical at first, but was encouraged by the fact that Andrew was able to figure out how to turn off the water supply to the house.

Next, he brought my meager supply of tools up to the bathroom to take apart the faucet:













After a short side trip to buy a wrench at Walgreens, Andrew was able to successfully take the stem out from the faucet:













He picked out the replacement at Lowe's (and we bought an extra stem in case both handles needed to be replaced):













Mission successful! Turns out, it was just the cold handle that was leaking. It's made an immediate difference in the bathroom - no leaking obviously and it's so easy to turn off the water now. I didn't realize how hard I had been turning the handles in the past year until I compared it to how little effort it takes to turn it off now.













See, no leak! Just ignore the water damage and how grimy my sink is looking at the moment.

I can't tell you how thrilled I am at the fact that Andrew's hard work paid off. Poor guy doesn't realize that he's slowly cementing his status as my handy man around the house now!

No comments: