Friday, December 12, 2008

Traveling to Machida

Last night marked the first time I made it back to Machida on this trip.
Machida is three train stops away from Zama and is the best place to shop offbase without having to venture into Tokyo.

My dad and his coworkers decided to go to an all you eat and drink place in Machida as an informal office Christmas celebration. Of course I was along for the ride.
I'll blog more about Machida in the next post but I thought I would devote this blog to readers like Camie as a trip down memory lane.
Walking offbase, the closest subway stop is Sobudaimae. Here's a shot of my dad heading through the turnstiles at Sbobudaimae.

A ticket to Machida costs 180 Yen.


Passing through the stops of Odakyu-Sagamihara and Sagami-Ono, we got off at the Machida stop and were greeted by this view:
For those who are familiar with Machida, the McDonalds by the train station is directly to the right off camera.

3 comments:

Russell Sprout said...

It's pronounced Ma-Chi-Da!

I am loving these posts!

sharonwue said...

I went to the best rummage sale ever, in an open plaza near the Machida station. I spent 1700 yen, and got enough stuff to fill a very large box which I UPS'd home. The items were mostly dishes, dessert sets, sake sets - all the souvenirs you could want! And my customs slip said 'used items, 1700 yen'. Bonus. I think it must have been the local temple sale. Our husbands then met us for lunch. We made them take all the bags home so we could go back to the rummage sale.

bcallegra said...

I did a shopping expedition myself yesterday as they now have a five story 100 yen store in Machida. Granted, not everything in the store is 100 yen, but I would say a good 80% is. Alas, no rummage sale which I would've really enjoyed!