Monday, December 8, 2008

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

After surveying my parents' pantry, I was trying to find a recipe that would use what they already had on hand. Peanut Butter Sandwich cookies (recipe from Beantown Baker) fit the bill nicely, as my dad consumes massive quantities of the two main ingredients: oatmeal and peanut butter.

The cookie itself has a nice cinnamon oatmeal flavor but it's the filling that brings in the peanut butter flavor.





Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies - I ended up doubling this recipe since one batch only produces 24 individual cookies - which is only 12 complete cookies at the end.

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup quick oats
1 cup light brown sugar
1 stick butter, softened
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla

Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and oats in a medium bowl.

In a separate bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until fluffy.Beat in vanilla and egg, then stir in dry ingredients until just combined.

Roll about 2 tsp of dough into a ball, then flatten and press onto a Silpat-lined baking sheet. I didn't have a Silpat on hand so I just went with the typical greased sheet.

Repeat with remaining dough.

Bake at 350 for 8-12 minutes (closer to 8 for softer cookies, closer to 12 for crisper cookies).

Cool on a wire rack.

Filling

3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 tbsp half and half - I used vanilla flavored soymilk since that's what my parents have instead of milk and I swear you can't taste the difference.
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Beat all ingredients together in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth.

When cookies are cool, pipe or spread frosting on one and press another on top to make a sandwich. I put the frosting into a ziploc bag, snipped a corner off and was good to go.

My dad gave the thumbs up for this recipe!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet fancy Moses those look delicious =)

bcallegra said...

I would make them for your holiday party but considering that my flight gets in 30 minutes before it starts, my gift to you may just be a shower! :) Have no fear, I did freeze some of the cookies from last week's baking night with the Monster girls, so I won't be empty handed.

Anonymous said...

Oh please, don't worry about bringing anything - your presence will be enough!