Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Signs of Christmas Off Post

For the first week here, I felt like I was unaware of Christmas while on base.

Yes, I obviously knew which day Christmas fell on and I was also busy thinking about the gifts I needed to buy.


But without Christmas commercials blaring on TV (Army TV doesn't have any commercials, just informational spots that are like public service announcements) and without Christmas music playing everywhere, it kind of felt like I was in a place that had never heard of Christmas.


Surprisingly enough, it was when I stepped off base that I found myself surrounded by reminders of Christmas.


Japanese people have always had a fascination with American holidays but I feel like Christmas has now become more of a mainstream celebration.


Exhibit 1: Japanese family with a daughter in a Christmas cape and a son dressed up as a Christmas tree - as you can tell from the surrounding crowd, this isn't the typical dress style - it's a bit blurry since I took it from the opposite side of the train platform in Machida.


Exhibit 2, the many Christmas decorations outside the department stores in Machida, including this tree. Also, for those who remember Tokyu Hands, the building behind tree is where it used to be located. Now it's been crammed onto the top two floors of the Jorna building.


Exhibit 3: Poinsettia and tree display outside the Odakyu OX store at the Soboudai-mae train station.


Exhibit 4: Ornaments on bamboo stalks (talk about a great example of East meets West) near Sagami Depot.

No comments: