Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Mongolian BBQ

Wednesday night on Camp Zama means Mongolian BBQ at the Community Club.


(I know the picture is blurry but it was tough getting a clear shot of the sign as it has a reflective surface)


The concept of Mongolian BBQ is similar to the Fire & Ice restaurant chain in Boston - you fill a bowl with your choice of fresh vegetables, raw meat, seasonings and sauces. On Zama, it gets weighed and you're charged $.75 per oz.

You're handed two slips, one that lists your name and the weight of the dish, and one that just has your number. The number slip accompanies your bowl into the kitchen, to make that your receive the right bowl back after the food is cooked.

As you can see from these two slips, the Japanese lady manning the register was creative in spelling my name and Amy's name. Amy's isn't too surprising, as this is the Japanese way of spelling it but not sure what was going on with "Jois."


As I'm sure you also noticed, Amy had the largest bowl at the table at 16 oz, haha! She beat my Dad at 14 oz, Rich at 12 oz and me at 10 oz.

Here's a shot of bowl before it was cooked. I put in (from what I can remember):
  • pork strips
  • bean sprouts
  • green beans
  • carrots
  • broccoli
  • green peppers
  • mushrooms
  • onions
  • peanuts
  • garlic
  • teriyaki sauce
  • sesame oil
  • vinegar




Here's a shot of everyone at the table, with their raw bowls, waiting for the waitress to pick them up and take them to kitchen to cook.



This is what my Mongolian BBQ looked like cooked (Amy had to remind me to take a picture as I was hungry enough to dive in without any other thoughts).


This is my Uncle Rich's and my cousin Andrew's favorite meal on base - especially so this year for Rich since he's eating vegetarian.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I probably shouldn't read these entries while hungry, especially when I do not have access to Mongolian BBQ.

See you Saturday!