Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Morning in Plymouth

Christmas morning was jam-packed at the Silvia household.

Everyone was awake or starting to wake around 8:30 am.

Andrew and Phu were kind enough to accompany me to the nearest Fed Ex location (Raynham) so I could pick up a package that didn't get delivered on the 24. Apparently, due to the bad winter weather, FedEx got behind on deliveries and actually had employees work on Christmas day from 8 am - Noon.

I was initially disappointed since I had tracked the package all day on the 24th and it was projected to be delivered by 3 pm. By around 8 pm at night, the status was finally updated to "Delay beyond our control." However, I did see FedEx's notice about being open on Christmas Day and I was determined to pick up that gift.

I must say that I was impressed with Zales for holding their end of the bargain by processing and shipping my purchase within one day (I tracked the package from Texas to Memphis to East Boston to Raynham within a 12 hour period). I also appreciated how friendly the FedEx employees were, even though they were working on Christmas Day.

Once we were back at the house, I quickly wrapped the gift and placed it under the tree.

We then headed to the dining room table to open up our Christmas stockings.
This is a shot of the dining room table - I loved the candle and nutcracker centerpieces (Andrew's mom had an impressive nutcracker collection that was displayed throughout the house), the handmade Swedish horse napkin rings and the stockings that were hung at each chair.
This is a shot of my stocking:
It was jam packed with lovely things, including a cookie recipe magazine, the OXO cookie scoop I really wanted, an Ove glove and Silpat baking liner from Andrew (he told me I really needed the glove since I manage to burn my hand each time I bake), measuring cups and measuring spoons and mini pie pans - clearly, everyone knows that I like to bake!
Then it was onto the best part - breakfast!
Andrew's mom made the traditional Silvia Christmas breakfast: an egg/cheese/bread casserole and coffee cake.

Here's a shot of Adam dishing up the casserole - I can't even tell you how good it was. It was nice and crispy on top and the egg portion had a wonderful texture. It was so good I had two helpings!

The coffee cake provided a nice contrast to the savory casserole. What Andrew's mom considers a "simple" coffee cake is in fact a beautifully shaped and delicious ring of dough, cinnamon, currants and frosting - yum!


Fortified with all this food, we were now ready to tackle the pile of presents under the tree!

No comments: