Sunday, December 7, 2008

Japanese Vending Machines

Oddly enough, a vending machine is often the first thing I see after landing that makes me realize that I'm really in Japan.




There's just no comparison to what you typically find in the US. Japanese vending machines have:
  • Both cold and warm drinks in the same machine (we used to buy the warm drinks as handwarmers, popping them open to drink once they were lukewarm) - you can tell the cold from the hot by the color underneath the cans
  • More variety in the types of drinks - you can choose from tea, flavored water, soda, coffee, cocoa and even corn pottage soup (like corn chowder)
  • Different shapes for the cans - they're smaller and taller (similar to the shape of Red Bull) and don't feel like they're made out of aluminum like US cans
  • The opportunity to win free drinks - if you buy your soda at the right time (usually by having a flashing light - that circulates among all the drink buttons - light up your drink selection)

Plus, I love having the opportunity to pick up drinks like Real Gold, Calpis (I know what it sounds like but that's what it's called!), Mitsuya Cider and my personal favorite, CC Lemon (a citrus soda that claims to have the vitamin equivalent of 50 lemons, depending on what size you get). These drinks also tend to be mildly carbonated so in a weird way, they don't feel as sugary as typical American sodas.

For those of you who have visited Japan, what's your favorite drink?

5 comments:

sharonwue said...

I don't remember the name, but it was like a tea latte! Mmmm.

bcallegra said...

sharonwue, I don't know the name myself, since I don't typically drink coffee or tea, but I know what you're talking about!

NOLA said...

You failed to mention the mini asahi and kirin!Have they managed to put a subtle shiraz in those things yet?

Russell Sprout said...

MILKTEA MILKTEA MILKTEA

MADE BY KIRIN. THE BEER.

ALL CAPS: MILKTEA!

bcallegra said...

NOLA, haha, I'll make sure to snap a picture of a liquor vending machine as well although I have my doubts on the wine vending!

CR, I thought it was milk tea but wasn't sure since I never drank it! Thanks for clarifying and you'll have to let me know if you want me to bring you back some.