Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Chocolate Cupcakes

My contribution to a breakfast buffet at work to celebrate three coworker's birthdays was chocolate cupcakes.

I know, not your typical breakfast food. I was going to make French Toast Casserole. But two of coworkers with birthdays had agreed that they wanted chocolate cupcakes as their birthday dessert.

I went to my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe, which actually doesn't use eggs as a leavening agent. The combination of baking soda and white vinegar always results in a perfectly rounded dome with this recipe: Chocolate Surprise Cupcakes (ignore the topping part of the recipe) from Allrecipes.com:



I topped them with a simple chocolate frosting recipe from Beantown Baker and colored and chocolate sprinkles (jimmies if you live in Mass):

Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Frosting ( I halved this recipe as I decorated only half the cupcakes this way)
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

No comments: