Thursday, March 26, 2009

Restaurant Week #3 - Elephant Walk

Tonight was my third chance to experience Restaurant Week deals - after experiencing Marliave and Lineage - at a restaurant I've already eaten at and loved, Elephant Walk. Elephant Walk is known for its French and Cambodian cuisine, with an eclectic menu that features fusion dishes as well as choices that are solely one cuisine or the other. I met up with one of my ex-Monster friends, Jen, who I haven't seen since she found out she was pregnant. As Jen's six months along now (and looking lovely with her pregnancy glow and healthy hair), we were long overdue for a meal!


Elephant Walk had a great Restaurant Week menu - tons of choices plus a special twist. They offered four courses instead of the typical three for the same Restaurant Week charge of $33..09, or they gave you the option to have one less course and pay only $29.95. Of course, Jen and I went for the full four course option!

We both chose the rouleaux (Cambodian spring rolls) with tuk trey dipping sauce as our starter course:

Jen had the Salade de Bleu au Poire William - "A medley of greens tossed with Gorgonzola cheese, toasted walnut and balsamic vinaigrette; with pan-roasted pear and Poire William coulis" as her second course:

I went with Croustillants aux Poires et Crevettes Flambées - "Crispy wontons layered with warm Bartlett pear and scallion, topped with natural shrimp flambéed with white wine, leeks and garlic." Everything about this was delicious, especially the white wine sauce:

Third course was our entrees. As Jen went with Saumon à la Crème de Poireaux et Champignons, "Atlantic salmon filet pan-roasted and topped with julienned leeks and Shiitake mushroom in a savory garlic and shallot cream sauce, over steamed potatoes":

My entree was Porc Diplomat Grilled pork tenderloin with a caramelized sauce of coconut milk, black pepper, and garlic; with grilled eggplant and wild lime rice - pretty tasty but I think it was my least favorite dish of the night. Looking back, I think I could've had the other three dishes and been full enough. Don't get me wrong, it tasted good but the sauce was heavier and richer than everything else I had tasted and the eggplant wasn't anything special:

-
Finally, the dessert course! Jen's choice, Le Péché au Chocolat - "A rich, creamy, chocolate truffle cake perfectly paired with raspberry sauce" which she said tasted like flour-less chocolate cake:



I went for the non-chocolate choice, Mousse aux Fruits de Passion - it was exactly as it was described in the menu - "Refreshingly tart and sweet passion fruit mousse served in an almond lace cup; garnished with fresh pineapple macerated in dark rum, sugar and lemon juice." My favorite Restaurant Week dessert so far, it was full of flavor, had a lot of different components that were delicious in their own right but worked well together, and was light enough that it didn't make me feel gross afterwards:


Two thumbs up for Elephant Walk for serving up another excellent meal.

No comments: