Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Restaurant Week #2 - Lineage

As I mentioned in an earlier post, last Monday marked the beginning of Boston's Restaurant Week (which has actually been extended to two weeks). Marliave was the first place I tried and I've got a whopping three more meals this week. Actually, two more as I met up with Jen tonight to have dinner at Lineage in Brookline.

This is the menu they were offering for Restaurant Week. Skimpy compared to Marliave, but as Jen and I agreed, it makes it a lot easier to make up your mind on what to order!


We both started off with fancy drinks - a Pomegranate Kir (pomegranate juice and champagne) for Jen and a Clementine Mojito for me - yummy! Jen graciously agreed to pose with our drinks and put up with my picture taking for the rest of the night:


First course was roasted parsnip soup for Jen and fried shrimp with aioli for me. I'm not usually a shrimp gal but I was swayed by the thought of a good aioli. Sadly, their aioli didn't have much flavor but the shrimp was still pretty good. The part I enjoyed most was actually the simple salad that accompanied the shrimp, which consisted of arugula, red onion and chickpeas. Jen loved the soup and it's slightly sweet undertone, but we both agreed that I should skip trying her meals as she is in the midst of battling a cold:



We both ordered the roasted sirloin steak for an entree, medium rare for Jen and medium for me. This is a shot of Jen's plate since her meal came out looking prettier:

I almost ordered the Vegetable "Pot a Feu" but 1) didn't know what the heck a "Pot a Feu" is and 2) didn't want to squander my dining bucks on a vegetarian dish.

Final course was dessert and Jen went with the Chocolate Pot de Creme and I went with the bread pudding:
Observant readers will observe that I have ordered bread pudding as my dessert for both my Restaurant Week meals so far. It's merely a coincidence, and in Lineage's case, since I tend to avoid really chocolatey desserts, it was the bread pudding by default. I loved the toasted hazelnuts that came with it. Compared to Marliave's version, I would pick Lineage's version as it was lighter but would like it to come topped with ice cream like Marliave's.

Meal number two was definitely another success and I love that I got to visit another new restaurant.

2 comments:

NOLA said...

You need to come to New Orleans,those dishes are cute but the real deal is here in April during the French Quarter Festival

bcallegra said...

I would love to check out New Orleans and its food! Camie and I will have to plan a trip at some point.