Friday, March 20, 2009

Graduation Party Venue - Booked!

As some of you might know, May will be an exciting month because:
  • My cousin Andrea is graduating from Bristol Community College
  • Amy will be graduating from Suffolk Law School
  • My parents will be visiting from Japan for two weeks

With the two graduations happening in the same month, Rich, my parents and I decided to hold a joint family part on the weekend between their graduations.

After talking to most of the VFW halls, Elks lodges, Sons of Columbus (halls? lodges?) and Sons of Italy venues in the South Shore area, we have made our selection:

The VFW Hall in Braintree

This is a shot of the front door:

And the side door:

The only thing that alarmed Andrew and I when we arrived at the hall this week to sign a contract was the serious lack of parking - it looked like at most, you could fit 15 people, which would be a problem when we're expecting around 80 guests.

This is why the next picture is important - it shows the bank's front parking lot next door which will hold all our overflow parking. Apparently, the VFW has an arrangement with the bank, and with our party falling on a Saturday afternoon/evening, we'll have no problems using their lot (both front and back).

Front lot (I think the customers thought I was casing the bank):


Dopey me forgot to take a picture of the actual party room inside the hall - oh well!

Now onto the fun part of planning - decorations, food and invitations!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, BCAllegra (chomper?). My name is Jane Dornbusch and I am a food writer for the Boston Globe. I am trying to research a possible story on dishes people are making for graduation parties and I came across your post about renting the VFW hall in Braintree for a big graduation party. Are you cooking anything special (and original) for the party? (Or did you, if it happened already?) And if so, would you be willing to talk me about it for a Globe story? Please contact me at jdornbusch@verizon.net if interested -- thanks!