Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My New Kimchi Diet

So I'll be the first to admit it, Andrew and I have been slacking off on the whole going to the gym the past couple of weeks. Combine that with some unhealthy eating (lunch at the Cheesecake Factory with my Grandma on Sunday, complete with dessert, definitely wasn't healthy) and I've been feeling unfit.

This is why I'm proud of dragging my butt to the gym, despite getting out of work late today. It's always the thought of going to the gym that seems so hard, but once you're there, you feel wonderful and energized.

Not wanting to ruin my one day streak of exercise with an unhealthy meal, I was racking my brain for something healthy to eat. Truthfully, I barely have the energy to throw together a meal on a regular night, and on a gym night when I'm coming home after 8 pm starving and sweaty, forget about real cooking! So I knew it be easy to just microwave something unhealthy to eat as a quick meal. That's when I remembered I had a jar of kimchi in the fridge that I had picked up at Whole Foods last week.

As you may have gathered from reading previous posts, I think kimchi is pretty terrific. Of course, this is due to the fact that I was raised by a Korean mother who was feeding us pieces of kimchi as babies. Serve with kimchi with some white rice, and I'm set for a meal. It's fast, convenient and delicious. And not to mention healthy. The whole jar of Sunja's kimchi I had tonight was only 200 calories so eating one fourth of the jar only netted me 50 calories. That's when I made the vow to eat more kimchi and rice for meals. It's not really a diet, just a conscious decision to work it back into my life and my meals more.

I just have to make sure I brush my teeth right after eating it, otherwise I'll be blasting friends and loved ones with kimchi breath!

No comments: