Monday, March 23, 2009

Real Frozen Yogurt

Anyone that knows Amy and I well is aware of our disdain for what is called frozen yogurt here. Sure, it tastes good but it's more like soft serve ice cream than true frozen yogurt. The frozen yogurt that Amy and I grew up eating in Hawaii is more tangy in flavor and tastes more like, well, yogurt and less like vanilla ice cream. That's why Amy told me first thing when she discovered UBerry, U Food Grill's frozen yogurt in the Landmark center - it was the closest thing she found resembling the Yami yogurt we used to enjoy in Ala Moana. Since then, we've also discovered YoTango frozen yogurt at JP Licks. Exciting stuff but what was even cooler was when I walked into Shaw's today and noticed this in the freezer section:

Haagen-Dazs Frozen Yogurt, Tart Natural Flavor






I was running a quick errand and resisted the temptation to grab it, but it's nice to know that I'll be able to run to the supermarket the next time I have a froyo craving.



Plus, I heard there's another new place called Yo! Berry (obviously jumping on the Pinkberry craze) in the Allston/Brighton area, so I'll have to check that out as well.

Update: I haven't been able to find the calorie information for JP Lick's new YoTango frozen yogurt but I did find out that it is kosher, non-fat, it contains millions of probiotic bacteria, has less sugar, no cholesterol and is easily digested by the lactose intolerant. It is a great source of calcium and contains live and active cultures which include lactobacillus bulgaricus, and lactobacillus acidophilus.

3 comments:

Russell Sprout said...

We have a tangy fro yo shop on my block.
Next time you're in town...

Anonymous said...

You also need to try Berryline and the new Forty Carrots cafe in Bloomingdale's in Chestnut Hill - they claim to have been the first place (the one in NYC) to serve that style of frozen yogurt.

Anonymous said...

Also, There is a new place called BoYO near Mass. General Hospital that is opening soon that serves natural frozen yogurt. I'm hoping its ore tangy than YoTango but we shall see!