Saturday, March 21, 2009

Pomegranate - the new "in" flavor

I remember reading a fascinating NY Times article that explained how certain flavors become trendy, and similar to the fashion industry, it's a process that takes years and starts with early adopters (usually a few high level, Michelin-rated chefs), then expands to fancy restaurants, regular restaurants, consumer products found in grocery stores and finally, in a true sign that the flavor has arrived, the flavor gets incorporated into some sort fast food product. I can't remember all the specific flavors that were used as an example of this process, but chipotle was definitely mentioned. As I started thinking about it, I realized that it was true, I had never heard of chipotle in college and now it's a common flavor that you see in most restaurant menus (like chipotle aioli, yum!)

Anyway, I know pomegranate isn't exactly a new flavor. It's been around for years, and become popular at first, I suspect, due to Pom brand juice. But as I was eating breakfast yesterday, I realized that there was a common theme.

As usual, I started with a cup of yogurt. I usually stick with blackberry or raspberry, with an odd apple turnover or strawberry banana thrown in for variety. But my new favorite flavor for the past few weeks has been Light & Fit's Pomegranate Berry:




This was accompanied by two pieces of Apple Pomegranate toast. While at Stop & Shop on Thursday night, I noticed it and another new fruit bread, Orange Cranberry, in the Pepperidge Farm section:



Looking at the Pepperidge Farm website, it looks like there's lot of fun, fruit-flavored breads and bagels to try:



So back to my original point, I'll know that pomegranate will have truly arrived as an officially established flavor when McDonald's starts hawking pomegranate smoothies. I can already get pomegranates in my beer through Michelob Ultra's pomegranate-raspberry beer.

But it looks like it has already hit the grocery stores and I'm glad. It's taken something more exotic and translated into something that most people will get to enjoy. Plus, it's insanely healthy and filled with antioxidants so you can't go wrong. And did I forget to mention delicious?

2 comments:

NOLA said...

they are to fruit what yams are to vegetables.
Been reading about it's health benefits for a couple of years but the juice is so expensive I haven't tried it.
I have an antique Japanese serving dish with pomegranates on the ceramic lid.

bcallegra said...

I know what you mean - I don't think I've ever bought pomegranate juice on its own but it's nice to have as a flavor in stuff.