Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day Oatmeal Whoopie Pies

You think with St. Patrick's Day, I would've been inspired to make something like Irish soda bread.

Nope, I went with Oatmeal Whoopie Pies simply because I was in the mood for them. I've been in search of a recipe that will make something that resembles the Little Debbie oatmeal cream pies. One of my coworkers in Decathlon used to have a great recipe that came close, but she refused to share the recipe. These aren't bad but I'll keep my eye open for another recipe.

Oatmeal Whoopie Pies

Oatmeal cookies
  • 2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 tablespoons boiling water
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups quick cooking oats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease baking sheets (I used my silpat sheet)

  1. Cream butter with the brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and mix well. Stir in the salt, cinnamon, baking powder, boiling water, baking soda and flour. Mix to combine. Stir in the oats.
  2. Drop cookies onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes. Let cookies cool and then make sandwiches from two cookies filled with Whoopie Pie Filling.
Whoopie Pie Filling
  • 1 egg white
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups confectioner's sugar
  • 3/4 cup shortening
  • I added two drops of concentrated green food coloring
  1. Beat the egg white.
  2. Mix in the milk, vanilla and 1 cup of the confectioner's sugar.
  3. Beat in the shortening and remaining cup of sugar and food coloring. Beat until light and fluffy.
I matched up the cookies into pairs on the basis of size and shape, and then piped on the filling using a freezer Ziploc bag with the corner snipped off:


I tried to leave a little space around the edge, knowing that once the second cookie got placed on top, the filling would spread:


Don't these look perfect for St. Patrick's Day after all?

No comments: