Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Crockpot Beef Stew

As a birthday gift from Andrew's parents (thanks Charlotte and Tom!), I received something that I've been wanting for a long time - a Crockpot!

I can't remember what commercial product I'm quoting, but my view of Crockpots is that you toss in a bunch of ingredients, "set it and forget it" and then come back to a beautifully cooked meal.

My first try at using the Crockpot resulted in a tasty beef stew (one of my favorites).



Admittedly, this picture probably doesn't look too appetizing but it sure tasted good! And I was amazed at how six hours in a crockpot turned tough stew meat into delicious, tender pieces of beef that fell apart at the touch of a fork - yum!

I used Kyle's Favorite Beef Stew recipe from Allrecipes.com (minus the mushrooms and adding corn and an extra pound of baby carrots) - it was good, but the only thing that I wasn't a fan of was the strong onion taste. Don't get me wrong, I love onions in all form but I think the two envelopes of onion soup mix were a little strong. Next time, I'm going to try searching for a recipe that allows more of the red wine to shine through.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are thinking of the Ronco Rotisserie Chicken cooker - a famous infomercial with the "set it and forget it." It is sad that I know these types of things.

bcallegra said...

Haha, I should've realized that you would know what I was talking about. It's such a catchy phrase and perfect for crockpots!

jphenderson said...

looking forward to reading about more crockpot creations...i think i will try this beef stew this weekend! i love my crockpot!!

bcallegra said...

JPHenderson - I'm fast becoming a devotee of crockpots! Now I have to dig up all the recipes I used to avoid in the past because they required a crockpot. The side benefit for Andrew is that he gets to eat more meat now, since I usually don't like cooking it (although I have no problems eating it). And I still have your meatloaf recipe on the back burner to try, I just need to remember to buy the right ingredients.