Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Chocolate Goodbye Cake

I've done a lot of baking this week, between a work potluck lunch and coworkers leaving this week (one is transferring to a different department and one had her consulting contract expire). As both are big chocoholics, I decided to go with a classic and simple chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.

I ended up getting a chocolate cake recipe off of Beantown Baker's blog (who got it from Allrecipes). Like the recipe says, the batter is pretty runny but the resulting cake is incredibly moist - in fact, I think it's the moistest cake I've baked and my coworkers raved about it! To accompany the cake, I found another recipe from Allrecipes.com - Rich Chocolate Frosting that ended up giving me the perfect amount of frosting once I halved the recipe.


Here's how the cake turned out - the reason that the frosting may be a little discolored around the edges is because I swirled a little Hershey's syrup throughout it to darken it (I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to lighten up the frosting for the words on top). Plus I used some Hershey's syrup between the layers of cake before I added a frosting layer:



It's not the prettiest thing, since I've been forced to use a cheap frosting bag and tip I picked up at Stop & Shop (due to my past mice infestation) but at least it's legible. I also ended up throwing mini-chocolate chips around the edge, which was a messy process but worth it in the end:


I'm not sure if you can tell from the picture but this is how moist the cake was on the inside - it was practically oozing chocolatey-goodness:

The verdict? Janice and Elise loved it, my coworkers gobbled it up, and I still was able to save a slice to bring home to Andrew since the poor guy had to put up with the whole house smelling like chocolate.

No comments: