Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Part Asian - 100% Hapa

What are you? That's a question that I get asked all the time since people can obviously tell that I'm Asian but can also tell that I'm mixed.

I don't mind answering, because I'm proud to be bi-racial. My Mom's Korean and my Dad's a typical American mutt who's primarily of Sicilian and Irish descent. The only irritating thing is being mistaken as Japanese. Mind you, this is with people not knowing that I lived on Zama. I think it's my dad's pale Irish skin combined with my Mom's eyes that makes me look Japanese to people.

Anyway, what lead to this blog topic today is the notice I received by email today:

Requested Item(s) Ready for Pickup
The item that you requested is now being held for you at the library.
Bring this library card to pick up the item by the Pickup Date below.
AUTHOR: Fulbeck, Kip.
TITLE: Part Asian, 100% Hapa
CALL NO: 305.8 F95P 2006

A bi-racial coworker I was chatting with at my company's offsite had recommended the book to me. I got excited because the phrase "Hapa" is very familiar to me. Having been lucky enough to have lived in Hawaii for a couple of years during my childhood, it was common to be referred to as Hapa. In fact, it's one of my dad's favorite expressions for me and my sister. Here's the official definition for it:









The reason I like to use the word Hapa to describe myself (and Amy) is because I view it as a positive word that is diverse in background itself. It embodies the warm Hawaiian spirit (which I know sounds corny) but it's true - Hawaii itself is such a hodgepodge of people from everywhere and it's one of the few places that someone from any ethnic background is normal.

Anyway, here's the cover of the book courtesy of Amazon:




















The book is filled with pictures of different Hapas and faces a page where they describe themselves (not only by ethnic heritage but also, who they are in their own words and handwriting).
I'm going to pick it up tomorrow!

No comments: