Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Mac and Cheese Please!

One of my good friends from Monster has the most adorable 9-month-old. He just had surgery last week to fix a cleft palate problem in the roof of his mouth. I saw him today and he was so happy and bubbly, it was hard to believe that he had just gone through major surgery! And he seemed to adore me as much as I love him, since he came over, grabbed my face and gave me a kiss.
I brought over a pair of green (naturally) Halloween pajamas with spiders all over it, not realizing that Kelli had planned to dress him as a spider for Halloween this year! And to give her and Alex a break, I made them Andrew's favorite Mac and Cheese with garlic rolls and peanut butter brownies for dessert.

This is what the Mac and Cheese looks like - It's drier than most recipes and I like to use a lot of Italian bread crumbs on top (in fact, this batch was light on the top with crumbs since I know most people don't like them as much as I do):


Mac and Cheese recipe
  • 1 (8 0z) package elbow macaroni
  • 1 (8 oz) package shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 (12 oz) container small curd cottage cheese
  • 1 (8 0z) container sour cream
  • I also tend to throw in whatever cheeses I have in the fridge, which can range from American cheese slices to grated Parmesan. Recipe technically calls for 1/4 cup grated Parm
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • For the topping:
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Cook pasta until done and drain. Leave pasta in drainer.
  3. In the pot you used to cook the pasta, cook cottage cheese for a minute on medium flame. Add sour cream, cheddar cheese, any other cheese, salt, pepper and milk and stir. Add macaroni noodles, stir thoroughly and remove from heat.
  4. Spray 9 x 13 inch baking dish and pour macaroni mixture in.
  5. In a small bowl, mix together bread crumbs and butter. Sprinkle topping over macaroni mixture.
  6. Bake 20 - 30 minutes or until top is golden.

Enjoy!

No comments: