Sunday, October 25, 2009

Pumpkin Pancakes

You may be wondering why I'm starting off a post about Pumpkin pancakes with a shot of Pumpkin bread.


Pumpkin bread is one of Andrew's favorites and I had intended on making it for his birthday weekend. However, I got caught up making tons of other edibles so I decided to push off making the bread until this weekend. Inspired by a pumpkin pancake mix that Andrew and I had seen in Stonewall Kitchen yesterday, I decided to make pancakes with the extra pumpkin puree I had on hand after making the bread. Andrew was on board with this idea, as it gave him something to look forward to eating right away, rather than waiting for the pumpkin bread to bake and cool.

I ended up modifying a Pumpkin Pancakes recipe from Martha Stewart:

Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoons each of cinnamon and ginger (replaced with a full teaspoon of cinnamon)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (I added one full teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice instead)
  • pinch of ground cloves
  • 1 cup of milk (switched to buttermilk since I had some on hand)
  • 6 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree (I upped this to eight tablespoons for maximum pumpkin flavor)
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 egg

Directions

For a spiced breakfast treat, whisk 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour; 2 tablespoons sugar; 2 teaspoons baking powder; 1/2 teaspoon salt; 1 teaspoon each cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice; and a pinch of ground cloves. In a separate bowl, stir together 1 cup milk, 6 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and 1 egg; fold mixture into dry ingredients.

What you'll end up with is a delightfully orange and spiced batter:

Melt some butter in a skillet over medium heat (I used Pam instead) ; pour in 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Cook pancakes about 3 minutes per side.

Serve hot with butter and syrup. I got ten full size pancakes.

They had a great pumpkin flavor and a nice, dense texture - not as fluffy as your typical pancake but still a nice seasonal dish to celebrate the great fall weather we're enjoying today.

No comments: