Thursday, August 27, 2009

Monkey Bread, Part Deux

I had made Pecan Monkey Bread once before and had liked the recipe (and the name!). Then, while reading Beantown Baker's blog, I saw a slightly different recipe for Monkey Bread that looked equally as easy. I was looking for something different to surprise Andrew with, than our typical blueberry pancakes for breakfast over the weekend so I gave it a try.

Here's the recipe straight from Beantown Baker's Dad:

  • 4 cans Pillsbury biscuit (get the kind that come in a 4 pack, the small ones, not the Grands)
  • Sugar coating:2/3 brown sugar (I ended up using a cup of brown sugar and 1/4 cup white sugar total to coat all the pieces)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon (upped this to a teaspoon)

Syrup topping:

  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
  • I added 1 teaspoon of vanilla 'cause it makes everything taste better!

Preheat oven to 350. Spray your angel food cake or bundt pan (I used two different Pyrex pans).Mix the sugar coating in a Ziploc bag (feel free to add more cinnamon and/or sugar if you run out during the coating process). Cut the biscuits into 4 (kitchen shears work great for this). Drop the biscuit pieces into the Ziploc bag and shake to coat. Drop coated biscuit pieces into the prepared pan.

Bring syrup ingredients to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, then pour over biscuit pieces. Bake for 35 minutes.Turn over onto plate and serve while hot.

Since I don't own an angel food cake pan, I used two separate Pyrex pans. This worked out well for me, since Andrew and I ate one and I brought the other into work, to the delight of my coworkers:


With the syrup poured on top, ready to go into the oven:


Out of the oven - I didn't pay attention and scorched this batch a little bit (I'm going to blame the oven too, since it was only in for 20 minutes) - I would also watch how long you boil the sugar syrup, I probably would do less than 5 minutes next time to prevent it from crystallizing so much:



Overall, it was very easy to make and tasty! My coworkers gobbled this up, despite being a day old and dark around the edges.

2 comments:

CHS said...

Tell Andrew this is a dressed up version of "Fun Bubble Buns."

Jen said...

So glad you made this. We love it!

I agree, I love colorful cupcake liners!!