Sunday, May 31, 2009

Ladybug Cookies

After the craziness of Thursday night, I settled back into a normal routine on Friday night by baking and decorating ladybug cookies for Jen's baby shower on Saturday (more details on this to follow).

I used Allrecipes.com's "The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies" recipe, cutting it down to 40 cookies from the original 60 serving recipe. I really like this recipe as the cookies had a nice puffed shape after baking, as opposed to the completely flat cookies I usually get with rolled cookie recipe.

After studying pictures online, I made two different color versions of the ladybugs - the traditional red and black (you can tell from the lone cookie in the corner with a completely black section that I decided to veto that design and stick with stripes instead):


The other tray used a primarily pink and red color combo, since Jen's baby due next month is a girl that will be named Olivia:


I had just enough black frosting left (from a store bought tube, although I made the rest of the frosting from scratch) to add accents to the ladybugs - I'm glad I did since the pink and red were a bit overwhelming on their own!


These cookies took me 3 hours to roll-out, cut-out, bake and decorate but it was well worth it to see how excited Jen was at her shower!

No comments: