Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Weekend BBQ in Plymouth

The second big event during Memorial Day weekend was a BBQ hosted by Andrew's parents in Plymouth that brought together members of our extended families together for the first time.
Amy, Phu and Pete were crazy enough to go into the pool to play with Andrew's little cousins (either second cousins or cousins once removed, I can never remember which is which) while Jen was smart enough to stay out:


Everyone got into the ball-throwing action, Andrew a little too eagerly (although Phu was a literal pain in the butt with his shots as well):


My handsome Father had a good time lounging poolside with my equally handsome Uncle:


My Grandmother Lillian and my Mom also hung out poolside, despite the overcast skies and passing thunderstorms:
Amanda introduced Javier to everyone (hopefully, we didn't scare him away):
Andrew caught up on old times (such as the doorknob game, don't ask) with Kevin:

Andrea dropped by with Jonathan, just in time for food to be served:


Did I mention the food? There was ton of it, all delicious and hard to resist:


My Mom's contribution was the rice cooker in the picture above (filled with white sticky rice, natch) and her famous Cucumber Kimchi - which resembled more of a spicy summer salad than the typical pungent, pickled cabbage:


With Andrew's parents serving up Portuguese sausage Linguisa, the meal reflected both Andrew's ethnic background and my own. This is how stuffed my plate was - my favorite BBQ food - a hot dog smothered to the gills with mustard and relish, a piece of Linguisa, Amanda's yummy pesto pasta salad, Andrew's Dad Tom's famous slow-cooked baked beans and some salad:


Next came dessert, which included cornflake cookies and chocolate chip cookie bars (Andrew's Mom Charlotte), leftover chocolate graduation cake from the night before (BJ's), leftover sugar cookie bars from the night before (me), a Boston Cream layered dessert (Andrew's parents):
Did you think that was it? There were also brownies with fudge drizzled on top and with peanut butter cups (I believe this was Andrew's aunt Marsha), funfetti cupcakes with vanilla frosting (Andrew's cousin Kim), brownies with chocolate peanut butter frosting (Jen):
And the dessert that everyone raved about - the Orange Creamsicle frozen dessert made by one of Andrew's parents' neighbors (Valerie) - I got the recipe fronm her and if I remember everything quickly, I'll definitely be making this at some point this summer:
I was surprisingly lazy about baking while my parents were visiting, probably because my Mom took over my kitchen. So while I didn't bake for this BBQ, I did make a large batch of Sangria but forgot to take pictures of it - oh well, I'll just have to make it again real soon!

No comments: