Sunday, May 17, 2009

My Sister, the Juris Doctor

Today was a big day for my family and the reason my parents are here in Boston visiting for two weeks - my sister Amy's graduation from Suffolk Law School!



I can't say that my parents, Andrew, Amy's boyfriend Joey and I really enjoyed waking up early to freeze our butts off in the open tent by the waterfront (aka the Bank of America pavilion). I don't know whose bright idea it was to have an outdoor event in May in Boston and expect the weather to be nice. The good thing is that we arrived early enough to score decent seats in the middle of the pavilion, which insulated us somewhat from the elements:



Martha Coakley, Attorney General for Massachusetts, was the commencement speaker and actually gave an interesting and relatively concise speech.

Finally, it was the moment we waited four hours for - the minute Amy's name was called (that tiny figurine in black next to the tiny figurine in red would be Amy accepting her diploma from the President of Suffolk University):



Here's the proud graduate afterwards - excited at the thought of shedding her gown and escaping from the madness of parents and students meeting up after the ceremony.


The picture of the four of us didn't come out perfectly, but here's a nice shot of Amy with my parents:

And me and Amy - I'm glad it stopped raining in time for us to take pictures with Amy outside:

As Boston was playing host to many other graduations today (we saw BU students in their red gowns crossing on the bridges over the Mass Pike), we decided to skip eating in the city and headed back to Newton. We chose one of our favorite places, Apgujung, to fete Amy as it also allowed one of her roommates, Phu, to join us.
Congratulations once again to my little sister on finishing up three tough years of law school and achieving her Juris Doctorate - next step, passing the bar and earning the "Esquire!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww. :) my family's the best!