Sunday, May 3, 2009

Walk for Hunger

As I mentioned yesterday, Phu, Andrew and I hauled ourselves out of bed at an ungodly hour to meet up with the other members of my company's walk team for Project Bread's Walk for Hunger. Project Bread is an organization that is "dedicated to alleviating, preventing, and ultimately ending hunger in Massachusetts." To me, this is fundraiser that resonates for me, because I can't bear the thought of anyone - especially a child - experiencing hunger.

We were worried about rain, but as it turns out, the day remained overcast and cool, perfect walking weather.

Arriving at Boston Common, we posed for a team photo and were at the start line around 8:40 am:



The next five hours were spent walking through Boston, Brookline, Newton, Watertown and Cambridge, with a quick breakfast break at Dunkin' Donuts (we ate walking) and a bathroom break at BC (my way of avoiding the port-a-potties). The three of us agreed that our favorite stretch was through Watertown and Cambridge (roughly miles 11 - 17), as there was enough room to walk comfortably (compared to being squished onto a sidewalk with 44,000 slow moving people) and there were gorgeous views to boot.
Andrew and Phu pose by mile 17 on Memorial Drive, with the Boston skyline providing the backdrop (t-shirts with my company's name are blacked out):


After a walk through through the Public Gardens, the finish line was in sight!


Andrew and Phu smile although their feet are aching, with the finish line behind them:

The bonus part of the walk for Andrew was seeing four different boxers, including this brindle boxer at the finish line:
The best part for me was getting the free Hood ice cream that gets passed out each year:


Considering we walked over 20 miles, we emerged pretty unscathed with a light sunburn and four blisters total, one for me and three for Andrew. We grabbed lunch at the Parish Cafe after the Walk and it began to shower right as we got off the T and got into my car - perfect timing!

No comments: