Friday, February 27, 2009

The Shins

It’s amazing how music can literally transport you to a different place – by making you recall a memory – and to a different state of mind.

Trying to avoid a noisy, neighboring department of coworkers while concentrating on a writing assignment, I pulled out my bright green (natch) iPod and plugged in the headphones.

Listening to Sea Legs by The Shins instantly transported me to the early days of my relationship with Andrew. Having never heard of anything else by The Shins other than the “Garden State” song (New Slang), I gave their album Wincing the Night away a good listen since this cute guy I liked kept mentioning how good the band was each time I saw him.


The Shins are soothing enough on their own but it was nice to pause for a moment and reminisce about how I would listen to the album while taking long walks around Newton.

Fast forward 19 months (exactly today!) and I’m still following on recommendations from that cute guy and enjoying my brief respite from work.

No comments: