Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mouse Update

I woke up this morning feeling extremely guilty still about the mouse and the glue trap. When I went downstairs to the kitchen, the first thing I noticed was that a cupboard door was open. This was the same cupboard door that I had closed on the mouse last night. I looked in and the glue trap and the mouse were gone! Looking around the kitchen, I finally noticed the glue trap upside down and partially under one of my shoes - this was around eight feet away from the cupboard. Andrew thinks he was moving around a lot, trying to get off the trap and ended up on the floor and using the shoe as leverage. Based on how much it was moving last night, I just don't get how the mouse could've moved the trap that much when it was so exhausted last night. I keep thinking some of it's friends must've helped it out.

So now I'm conflicted. I'm disgusted by the fact that I still have one less dead mouse in the house. But I also don't think I can go through using glue traps again. Andrew is going to reset the standard spring trap and bait it again and he's got a new location he wants to try it with. But if we still can't catch anything, I may have to compromise and use the glue traps only if we figure out some way to humanely kill (what an oxymoron) the mouse right away.

3 comments:

Russell Sprout said...

I use the mousetraps with a box around them. You just throw the whole damn thing away. James says we should reuse them. He has the ability to release the spring and shake out the dead mouse into the trash. I am not capable of such strength.

bcallegra said...

I've got one of those mousetraps (with the box) set up and it hasn't caught anything. That's the problem, we've stopped catching mice with the regular traps and we know they're out there! I may have to stick with glue traps if that actually works and just make sure they die humanely. I hate mice!!

bcallegra said...

I've got one of those mousetraps (with the box) set up and it hasn't caught anything. That's the problem, we've stopped catching mice with the regular traps and we know they're out there! I may have to stick with glue traps if that actually works and just make sure they die humanely. I hate mice!!