Sunday, February 8, 2009

Eggplant Parm Pie

My cooking attempt this month consisted of following an easy recipe for Eggplant Parm pie that I found on Boston.com. To be truthful, I don't know if this dish really fulfilled the "parm" portion of the name since it wasn't breaded. But it will still pretty good.

Here is the tray of peeled and sliced eggplant ready to be roasted in the oven with a little olive oil, salt and pepper brushed on:



I, for some reason, don't actually have a pie pan. I feel like I always think I have one and end up being surprised when I can't find it in the cabinets. I went with a small Pyrex pan and I actually think it worked out better this way. Although now, I think this recipes should be renamed Italian Eggplant Casserole.



Hot out of the oven with some garlic bread on the side, and Andrew and I were ready to feast:



Eggplant Parm Pie (Aka Italian Eggplant Casserole)
  • 2 pounds eggplant, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick (I didn't weigh them but I went with two big eggplants)
  • Olive oil (for brushing)
  • Salt and black pepper, to taste
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil (I used cooking spray instead)
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped (I don't know it this is cheating too much but I used ready made tomato sauce instead!)
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 can (1 pound) crushed tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
  • Flour (for rolling)
  • 1 pound store-bought pizza dough
  • 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan (I used generous handfuls of cheese, so it may have been closer to a cup each)
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
  • Extra chopped basil (for garnish) (Fresh basil? I skipped having a garnish)

No comments: