Saturday, February 28, 2009

Chocolate Mint Sandwich Cookies

Chalk today's cookies up to another baking disappointment.

This was a Martha Stewart recipe - I was looking for a chocolate mint recipe to replicate Girl Scout's Thin Mints cookies as a treat for Andrew.

Since I didn't have any 2 inch round cookie cutters, I used a heart cookie cutter instead which I thought added a cute touch with the scalloped edges.

This was a recipe that had me rolling out the dough on powdered sugar rather than flour, hence the speckled white appearance.

Before going into the oven:


Cooled with some chocolate mint ganache piped on top:



Sandwiched together:
Dipped in more chocolate:



These were a bit labor intensive and for some reason, I had a slightly different version of the recipe than the one I linked to above, which made it unclear on how I should dip the cookies. I ended up dipping half of most of them and tried to dip the whole cookie (which ended up REALLy messy) on the rest. Turns out that you are only supposed to dip the top half, leaving the bottom half clear. Oh well, you live and learn.
I guess I was disappointed because they don't taste as great as I would expect from all the work that went into them and they look messy. But that may be operator error. Anyway, I ended up with 2 and 1/2 dozen cookies total and I'll have to see how others like them. I may be a tougher critic than most since I'm not the biggest chocolate cookie fan. And can anything really replicate Girl Scout Thin Mints (other than Keebler Grasshopper cookies?)

No comments: