Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Human Lint Ball

Monday mornings in the office are always a little rough, and yesterday was even worse since I was running on around six hours of sleep due to the Super Bowl (I need around seven hours to function normally). The last thing I needed was to pull off my peacoat and the fleece jacket I wear under it to find my black turtleneck covered in white fuzz. Literally, it was coated with so much fuzz that it looked like I had five fluffy white Persians at home that had used this turtleneck as a bed for a week!

The problem is, as I was thinking back, was that I happened to wear a lot of white this past week. By process of elimination, the culprit had to be the white Martin & Osa cowl neck sweater I wore out for our anniversary dinner on Saturday night. The fibers from that must’ve have rubbed onto my fleece jacket which then transferred onto my nice black turtleneck.

With an improvised lint brush made out of packing tape in a loop, I was able to remove most of the fuzz from the front of my short (thank goodness the turtleneck wasn’t long-sleeved). To remove the fuzz from my back, I had to enlist the help of a female coworker.

Unfortunately, my desk is placed smack dab in the middle of our open office environment. Open meaning that our cubicles have only one foot tall walls that extend over our desk, so if you stand one side of our floor, you can see across all the cubicles to the far wall. Which means, everyone in our area could hear and see me standing next to Elise’s desk as she enthusiastically got into her role of lint remover.

She ripped off a three feet long strip of tape and holding each end in her hands, she rubbed it back and forth across my back while laughing her head off. I’m sure my face was beet-red but she was doing me a favor and it did get the fuzz off.

I humbly returned to my desk and tried not to move from it for an hour, hoping that the rest of the floor would forget my existence after watching the lint removal spectacle. You’ve got to love Mondays.

No comments: