Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Christmas (in July) Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

Ok, this is a catch-up post but I wanted to give credit where it's due.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my contribution to the Christmas in July gathering was a Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake (recipe from Beantown Baker and her version turned out much better).

To be honest, I'm disappointed in the way it turned out - mostly due to operator error, since my bottom layer got a little overdone and my top layer was too small. Combined with the Christmas-colored frosting, it ended up looking more like these cupcakes. However, everyone seemed to like the flavor, and Andrew claimed they were soft and like "a freshly baked cookie".

This is what the batter looked like as I shaped it into a circle on the Silpat (parchment paper circle is underneath the Silpat):


Fresh out of the oven:


Frosted in Christmas colors - damn that small top layer! I think the effect would've been a little better if all the layers were the same size but I was too lazy to separate the batter into three bowls. I ended up eyeballing the amount I used for the layers:

Luckily, I think the Christmas tray and garland do a lot to make the cake look better - it's all about presentation!


I think it's fun twist on the classic chocolate chip cookie but make sure you divide your layers evenly!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I think it looks great! And all that really matters is the taste anyways, right?

bcallegra said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I think anyone who bakes in this hot weather deserves kudos, so cheers to us!