Monday, March 22, 2010

Hidden Gem: Fiorella's in Newton

Ok, we're going to pretend that my blog is a time machine that allows me to go back in time before the big move. Let's rewind two weeks, I'm on a high from successfully completing our closing and I'm off to meet my friend Robin for dinner.

One of the things I'm going to miss about the Newton is Fiorella's - I've only eaten there twice, but I'm kicking myself for not discovering the restaurant sooner in my eight years in Newton.

Their breadsticks are good - pretty thin pieces of bread covered with cheese and accompanied by a marinari dipping sauce. I hate to say it, but they remind me of Papa Gino cheese breadsticks - again, good but nothing special:
A shot of my lovely dining companion enjoying her garden salad:
A very washed out picture of my potato leek soup - absolutely delicious! I really need to find a good recipe to replicate this and make it at home:
Did someone say homemade pasta? Yes please! Robin's Primavera Margherita, consisting of: fresh asparagus, zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms & onions sautéed with plump tomatoes, basil & garlic, tossed with fresh fettuccini & pecorino romano cheese:

More homemade pasta - my Fusilli Bolognese, with a bolognese made from braised ground beef, veal & pork simmered with diced carrots, onions & crushed tomatoes in a red wine tomato sauce, tossed with fresh fusilli pasta - It was so good, Andrew was raving over my leftovers the next day:

For dessert, a chocolate chip cannoli split between us:

The food was so good that Andrew and I ended up getting takeout from Fiorella's two days later. In my defense, we were packing at a furious rate and were eating a lot of (good!) takeout food. And I have to say, the takeout was just as delicious as eating in the restaurant.

No comments: