Friday, February 5, 2010

Raspberry Chocolate Chunk Muffins

An unexpected coworker birthday at work (she withheld the information from us and accidently let it slip around 5 pm on her actual birthday) had me scrambling to find something quick to make the next day.  The recipe for the muffins had just popped up on the We Are Not Martha blog and I liked the fact that the muffins seemed simple but were also far from ordinary with the raspberry/chocolate combo.

I doubled the recipe so there was enough for Andrew to bring into work as well, so I ended up with around 40 muffins. This surprised me, since the recipes was supposed to make around 12 muffins, so doubling should have left me with around 24 muffins.

Ingredients

•2 C flour
•1 1/2 t baking powder
•1 C sugar (granulated)
•1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter (14 tablespoons)
•3/4 C plain yogurt (I used cherry flavored yogurt I had on hand)
•1/2 C water
•2 eggs
•3.5 oz. dark chocolate, roughly chopped (I simply used a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chunks)
•5 oz. raspberries (fresh or frozen) (I used a 12 oz bag of frozen raspberries)
•2 T granulated sugar
•Powdered sugar for dusting
Mini chocolate chips for topping

Directions
  1. Combine flour, baking powder, and sugar in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
  2. Melt butter and remove from heat. Stir in yogurt and water. Then add the eggs, stirring well afterwards.
  3. Pour the wet ingredients into the well in dry ingredients and stir to combine. 
  4. Fold the chocolate chunks and raspberries into the batter. 


5. Stir together and scoop into prepared muffin tin.  In my case, I had lovely new pink cupcake liners  that I had picked up at Shaws (yay for cute liners!)

These were ready to go into the oven after I sprinkled each with mini chocolate chips and some granulated sugar:
Bake at 375 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes (close to 30 in my case):
Tada! I have to admit, they came out looking pretty good.
The texture of the muffins were very nice and I liked the contrast of the gooey chocolate juxtaposed with the slight sour/sweetness of the raspberries. But to be honest, I was kind of horrified by how much butter went into these. I don't think the muffin part had any flavor at all and I don't know if that was done deliberately in order to let the chocolate and raspberries shine, but it didn't work for me. My coworkers seemed to like them and kept telling me that they seemed more like cupcakes than muffins (so maybe chocolate frosting would've helped?) But honestly, I don't think this is a recipe I'm going to make again.

No comments: