Thursday, February 18, 2010

February Office Potluck

It had been a while since we had an office potluck, in fact, I think our last one had occurred in 2009. Unfortunately, another coworker's departure prompted this occasion but it was still jolly in tone!

I was pretty lazy in the dessert I made. I was prompted by a recipe on the back of my cake flour box, but I was too tired to make a cake from scratch. Instead, I made a gold cake from a mix but followed the other recipes directions for frosting and layers to create a Strawberry Jam cake. As you can see, my handiwork is a little sloppy but I had fun decorating it. I think it is more suited for a little girl's tea party rather than an office potluck!
For the interior layers, I alternated layers of strawberry jam with a layer of strawberry buttercream frosting. This looked very pretty but was a little too sweet for my tastes. I think you need a fairly unsweet cake base to balance out well with the sweetness of the jam and frosting:

For dessert, we also had ginger cookies and chocolate chip cookies:

Coming as no surprise, it was the food (as opposed to the dessert) that was the real show stopper of the meal. I didn't get a shot of the buffet table but we had a ton of different choices as usual! A look at my plate shows arroz con pollo (rice with chicken), a vegetable salad, bacon wrapped scallops (to die for), sausage with peppers, homemade artichoke and spinach dip with tortilla chips and one of my favorites, an orzo dish with tomatoes and chicken.  Yum!
This had definitely not been a good food eating week for me (as in, not eating healthy!)

No comments: