Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Magic Seven Layer Bars

I don't know why it's taken me so long to make magic bars (aka seven layer bars). I've always loved eating them when people have made them in the past - after all, they contain an amazing combination of coconut, chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. I adore anything with butterscotch chips in it. And the best part is, they are amazingly easy to make.

It was Sunday morning and I knew I wanted to make something to take with me to my cousin Andrea's facial party. My eye happened to catch a can of Eagle condensed milk in my cupboard, then I checked and found half a bag of sweetened coconut in the freezer and a half used box of graham cracker crumbs and decided it was time to try making them.

Magic Bars (recipe from the Eagle can of milk)
Ingredients

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 cups (12 oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chips (I decreased this to one cup and added a cup of butterscotch chips)
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts (I went with my favorite baking nut, pecans - toasted, of course)

I'm not quite sure where the seven layer name comes from because there's technically only seven "layers" or ingredients when you count butter as a layer and use two types of chips. I like the name "Magic Bars" since they do taste good enough to earn that title!

I also have to add that this recipe would be great to make with kids, since I can imagine them having as much fun as I did scattering the different ingredients.

Instructions

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.

Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter in small bowl. Press into bottom of prepared pan (I used the back of a spoon):









Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture. Layer evenly with chocolate chips, coconut and nuts. I put a lot of thought into what order my ingredients should go.

First came the butterscotch chips:
Next came the toasted pecans:
A liberal sprinkling of coconut on top - I was worried that I wouldn't have enough but a half bag of the standard size was the perfect amount. Having it on top would allow it to get toasted.
Finally, some chocolate chips on top to melt and hold down the coconut. Don't forget the important step of pressing down on the layers firmly with fork.













BAKE 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Loosen from sides of pan while still warm; cool on wire rack. Cut into bars or diamonds. 

What you will end up with is chewy perfection - Andrew and I could not stop eating these. I kid you not, after taking most of the bars to the party, there ended up being only one bar left by the time I could take a picture. And that's only because I warned Andrew to leave at least a bar for a picture!













Next time, I'll do as the Eagle recipe suggests online and line entire pan with foil, and coat lightly with no-stick cooking spray. I think this will make it easier to pry the bars from the pan.

2 comments:

andrea said...

and man was it delicious!

bcallegra said...

Thanks Andrea! :)