Monday, March 21, 2011

Ginger Hermits

I never thought I liked gingerbread cookies or anything with a really spicy flavor. To tell you the truth, I really dislike ginger as a flavor overall, even though it's used a lot in the Korean cooking I grew up with.

Which is why it was a surprise when I liked these cookies so much. A coworker brought in a batch of Ginger Hermits to a work potluck and I was in love. Moist and flavorful, they are the perfect cookie to have with a cup of tea which is why I thought it would be a good recipe to share on a day like today - kind of a consolation prize to have when the first day of Spring is marked with cold weather and an inch accumulation of snow.

This is Sue's mom's original recipe. Of course, I couldn't resist tinkering with it a little bit - I did my usual swap of cranberries for raisins and I made these as drop cookies rolled in sugar. I must say that either way of making the cookies (rolling into logs and slicing into biscotti shapes or drop cookies).  The biscotti shapes come out almost gooey soft while the drop cookies have a perfectly crisp exterior with a chewy center.  I made these as a part of my annual cookie swap, and when one of my friends brought these into her workplace, one of her coworkers begged for the recipes, describing them as "perfectly balanced in flavor and texture".  Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.

So while we're "enjoying" the remnants of winter weather, make these cookies, grab a cup of tea, and sit down and enjoy!

Ginger Hermits

Ingredients
3/4c. shortening
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. raisins (or Craisins)
3/4 c. white sugar (plus another 1/4 - 1/2 cup for rolling)
1/2 tsp. ginger
2 eggs
3/4 c. brown sugar
1tsp. ground cloves
1/4 c. molasses
3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbl. water
1/2 tsp. salt

Directions
1. Mix shortening and sugars. Blend in eggs. Add dry ingredients and spices.
2. Mix water into the molasses add to dry mix. Add (c)raisins.
3. Make 4 long strips on lightly greased ( use Pam) cookie sheet. (I used my large tablespoon-sized cookie scoop to form uniform cookies and used my Silpat to line the cookie sheets)
4. Sprinkle top lightly with sugar. (I rolled the top of each in the extra white sugar)
5. Bake at 350F for 15 to 20 min. they will be soft as they come out of the oven but they will harden as they cool - stay on the 15 minute side for softer cookies!!
6. Slice into cookies.

Ready to go into the oven:














Yummy goodness waiting to be enjoyed!

2 comments:

Molly said...

Ooh, these look really good. I actually had a conversation over the weekend with my husband's Nana about her hermits. It must be something in the air. Recipe bookmarked!

bcallegra said...

Molly, I highly recommend this recipe, you won't be disappointed! :)